Total Page Views

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Alterations Estimate Has Been Altered

So you know that we originally looked online and found a beautiful dress by Maggie Sottero on WeddingBee, then I found a halter dress that I thought was great, and then we went dress shopping at a brick and mortar store.  I'm a little top heavy for the dress, so they suggested that we have a corset put in when we brought it in to get hemmed since it's a little long for all 5 foot of me.  They quoted us $175 for the alterations, but the price tag on the dress was a little crazy in my opinion, so I went in search of the same dress online.  As you know, I found it online for a few hundred dollars less than the sale price.

Good news!  The dress came on Monday!  I put it on and it's still as beautiful as I remember it.  I went to a store since I was home and the seamstress informed me that it couldn't be done.  When I told her that I already had another estimate and I knew it was possible, she said that it would be easier to just get a different dress.  How rude is that?!  My awesome MOH jokingly offered to burn the shop down.  I declined and instead posted an honest review in response to her extremely rude behavior and inappropriateness.

Today, I called a couple places for a alteration consultation and one shop ballparked me at $400-$500 to put a corset in, hem it, and put a bustle in!  You can imagine my surprise!  I thought this was crazy!  So I went back to David's Bridal, thinking that they were ONLY $175 (previously I had thought this high, but what do I know?)  She informed me that $175 would cover the corset, and then an additional $120 to hem it, then another $35 to put the bustle in.  Grand total: $330.  For alterations.  I never would have know that it would cost that much on top of the dress.  I'm now glad that I didn't purchase the dress for the full price.

I was really ticked off until I thought about paying full price for the dress and then the alterations on top of that.  As it is, I'm still mildly irritated, but my dress after alterations will still be a couple hundred less than the original cost, so I guess I can't complain too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment